Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Healthy, delicious apple crisp... yes, it exists! :-)

This recipe is sort of from Elana's Pantry, one of my favorite sources for healthy, gluten free recipes. I say sort of because I mixed together two of her recipes to make one I liked better :-) So, here it is. I'm salivating just thinking about it.

Gluten free apple crisp

Filling:
1/2 cup of apple juice
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (you only need a small lemon for this)
1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (Whole Foods def has this)
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
5 medium apples, cored, peeled, sliced, and cut in half width wise

Topping:
2 cups blanched almond flour (I get mine here)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup grapeseed oil (also got this at whole foods- this is used instead of butter. it's better.)
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract


For the filling:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Set aside an 8-inch square baking dish.

Whisk together the apple juice, lemon juice, arrowroot powder, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Place the apples in a bowl, toss with the apple juice mixture, then transfer to the baking dish.

For the topping:
Combine the almond flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together the grapeseed oil, agave nectar, and vanilla extract. Stir the wet ingredients into the almond flour mixture, until coarsely blended and crumbly.

Crumble the topping over the fruit and cover the dish with aluminum foil. You should taste a little bit of it. It's good.

Bake for 45 minutes in the oven. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until the top of the crisp is golden brown and the juices are bubbling. Let the crisp cool for 30 minutes, then serve warm. (If you don't wait for 30 minutes, the topping will be mushy. So try to have some self control :-)

Here's a picture of mine... well, what's left of it :-)



If you make it, invite me over, I'll help you eat it! Or else you can come to my house and I'll bake it for you. Either way, we'll eat delicious food :-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment